Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Breaking into the Mainstream Film Industry

As I sit here writing this blog post on New Years Eve, I'm thinking what 2014 will hold for a struggling independent filmmaker like me? The industry has been changing, yet somehow did not form in the way a lot of indie filmmakers, myself especially, had envisioned. With the failure of companies like Dynamo Player and Chill, signs that hinted that the "break" from traditional distributors and the hollywood system is going to be harder, and take longer, or perhaps not come at all.

Looking back on the last 3 years after the release of my first independent feature film "Bang Bang", I can say it has been a very tough struggle and definitely more difficult than I could have ever imagined in my youthful naive.

You know when you're young you have all this energy and this I don't give a fuck I'll take over the world attitude. And as you get older and wiser, you see the immature thinking that you had as a youth. Although that hunger and drive is admirable, it needs to be directed by wisdom and knowledge.

I've come to realize that the independent film industry is struggling more than ever before.(read this Int. with John Sayles) Even with all the new technology, and excitement of youtube, hulu, netflix, it's not looking good for us. Because these platforms are all trying to become mainstream. Just look at the direction each one has taken with their content.

I will be pursuing a traditional distributor for my next film LAS VEGAS STORY. I plan to write scripts that can be picked up by other producers and funded through traditional ways rather than the whole Crowdfunding/private equity/self financed direction I've been taking. Its just too hard and not a good idea when you're struggling to pay rent. I recently watched an interview with Francis Ford Coppola from 1997 in which he talks about how he went into the wine business to give himself financial stability. This is after he made all those big hits like Apocalypse Now, & The Godfather.

Filmmaking is a gamble. The biggest gamble anyone can make. Every time you make a film, you put your life on the line. After awhile, you kinda get burnt out from playing Russian Roulette.


I've also come to realize theres more to life than just making films. Part of becoming a good director is to enjoy life and experience life outside of making movies. So for next year, 2014, I hope to focus more on my spiritual growth, and in turn it will bring me to a higher place than I can ever imagine in all aspects of life, including my career.

I plan to spend time writing seriously, and also networking with Producers by attending film festivals and film markets. I will focus on getting financial stability, health, and reconnecting with family. Sometimes we get lost in our passion for our dreams, that we forget to smell the flowers. 2014 here I come! Happy New Year Everyone!

Thanks for reading! Connect with me below!

FACEBOOK

YOUTUBE

TWITTER

INSTAGRAM

PINTEREST

TUMBLR

No comments:

Post a Comment